Are you an Apple loyalist, and is your life filled with Apple devices? The Apple Watch might help you track your steps, the iPad may keep your kid engaged, the iPhone keeps you connected to your friends and family, and the Mac helps streamline your workflow and finish your work tasks. With all of these digital devices dancing around you, it may get a bit difficult to identify which one of the devices is yours and which one is your friend’s or sibling’s. Or which one of the MacBooks is connected to the printer?
To avoid such confusion, especially if you have too many Apple devices in your household, learn the art of renaming your devices. This will instantly transform your tech zoo into a well-organized symphony.
Why rename your Apple devices?
Have you found yourself frantically searching for your iPhone in the middle of a sea of identical screens? Or have you wasted precious time untangling Netflix MacBook from Work MacBook? Renaming your Apple devices is about reclaiming order and ensuring your digital domain is devoid of confusion.
The top reasons to rename your Apple devices are:
- Clarity: By giving your devices proper names, you will be able to quickly identify the purpose of the device. For instance, you may have an iPad strictly for traveling and another for work. Instead of wasting time guessing which is which, name them.
- Boosted workflow: You don’t deserve all those wasted clicks and unnecessary frustration when you are trying to complete your tasks and get ready for the weekend. You can instantly identify the device you are looking for and launch the specific apps if you have simply renamed it correctly, instead of the generic name it comes with from the Apple store.
- Fun! – Renaming your device injects personality and adds a touch of fun.
- Protect your identity: You can rename your device to protect your identity because anybody can see your device’s name if you have AirDrop sharing open to everyone.
So, forget about the generic labels and embrace the fun and power of renaming. It might be a simple step, but it is transformative. It can make your life more efficient and organized.
Best practices to rename your Apple devices
- Utilize the built-in tools to rename your device
If you are wondering how to change name of Apple device, it is very simple because your device already comes with the tools it needs.
To rename an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, go to the Settings app > tap General > About > Name > select the current name > enter a new name.
You can rename your Mac by going to System Preferences or System Settings > Sharing >, selecting the Computer Name, and typing the new name.
As for renaming your Apple Watch, you have to open the Watch application on your iPhone and tap General > About > Name > choose the current name and type the new name.
Additionally, you can utilize third-party renaming applications like NameChanger or iRename for batch renaming.
Last but not least, don’t forget to sync the device names with iCloud backups and other platforms so there is seamless consistency in your digital domain.
- Ensure the name is clear and easily understood
Embracing clarity is the next step to master after you have learned how to rename your Apple devices. You must carefully choose the name so that it is easily identifiable. The name can refer to the purpose of the device, or you could inject it with personality.
You can come up with descriptive names that define the purpose of the device. For instance, travel iPad, gaming iPad, work Mac, etc.
You can also use location-based names if the devices are used in different places. For instance, home iPad, office Mac, etc.
If everyone in your family uses an Apple device, you can use user-specific names for the devices so that you know the person to whom the device belongs. This will ensure there’s no confusion.
- Don’t forget to add a bit of fun
Although clarity is required, it doesn’t mean you cannot have a bit of fun with the names. You can add a touch of personality when renaming the devices. For instance, it could refer to inside jokes or share pop culture references. You can even opt for descriptive humor.
Additional Tips to Remember:
In the renaming ecosystem, consistency is critical to controlling and organizing your tech zoo. Some tips to ensure this happens:
- Talk to your family members if you share devices and agree on a naming system that everyone will understand.
- Review the names and make changes if required. This is because you may add more Apple devices to your tech collection, and this requires regular maintenance.
So, please note that renaming an Apple device isn’t only about taming the chaos and organization. It is also about assuming control of your tech ecosystem and ensuring your devices are easily identifiable. So, forget about the generic names and unleash your creativity.
Do you find renaming Apple devices helpful? Share your thoughts in the comments below.